This is one of the "10 reflective or informative entries regarding technology and/or teaching."
I observed some special needs classrooms today. And I heard something really neat from one of the teachers of the moderately-functioning class. (These students have cerebral palsy, Downs syndrome, etc.)
When I went into the room, three students were working on computers. I was a little surprised that they were able to, honestly. I know that's ignorant of me, sorry. But she explained that the computers are, in fact, excellent tools for helping these students.
"Luke," she said, "we've been working with since 7th grade [2 years], and we could never get him to remember his personal information. But since we started this computer lab a few weeks ago, he knows his address and everything." Typing this information out several times and seeing it on a computer screen somehow helped Luke, a student with cerebral palsy, remember his name, address, phone number, etc.
Luke wasn't the only student who benefited though. Sam, a girl with Downs syndrome, was also learning how to type her information on the computer. And Jess, another girl, was creating PowerPoint presentations.
Every student in this moderately-functioning class is getting ready to give country reports and use PowerPoint to present them to the class.
I was just a little amazed that these students could use computers in a way that impacted their learning. I thought computers might be difficult for someone who has Downs syndrome, but that's just not true. Considering we're in this Tech. in Ed. class, it's important to figure out how we can integrate technology it into our future general classrooms which will likely contain high-functioning special needs students.
Great experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, this is powerful. Thanks for sharing. So these kids can communicate with their fingers (typing) in a way that they can't with their mouth. It would be fun to see what kind of research has been done on kids like this.
Post a Comment