Friday, February 22, 2008

Election Curriculum

This is one of the "10 reflective or informative entries regarding technology and/or teaching."

Click here. It's a section of the Washington Secretary of State website. I found it on accident when I was searching for information about voter registration because, well, I don't know how to vote or even how to register to vote.

This site is for teachers and gives "election curriculum," which teaches students about voting in the U.S. and, more specifically, in Washington state. It has curriculum sections for K-4, 5-7, and 8-12. They are very age-appropriate, starting K-4 with the idea of community and voting, leading 5-7 into specific voting terms and the importance of voting, and ending 8-12 with practical help on actually registering to vote and going to the polls. It gives activities for students and pre-made lesson plans for teachers. It also shows the teacher which EALRs are being met.

Though I'm not passionate about voting, (the fact that a 21-year-old was searching online to learn how to register to vote points to that fact), I am interested in avoiding dictatorship. I personally think this site is cool because it gives teachers great tools for teaching kids, even from a very young age, about voting. How else will the process of voting be kept alive? People our age (college students) are the least likely to vote. Perhaps if this curriculum is used in K-12 classrooms, that can change.

No comments: