Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Northshore Junior High School Website

The school at which I'm doing my observations is Northshore Junior High School in Bothell. The URL is njhweb.nsd.org.

I'll start with the positive and discuss the features I like about the site. The homepage contains the pertinent information, such as the hours, contact information, school closure information, calendar/events, etc. I also liked the easy-to-navigate links on the left side of the homepage.

As far as what was confusing, there was only one main thing. The number of links was too extensive. Instead of clicking on a link and being taken directly to a page, sometimes I was just taken to another page with another link. For example, when I click on the school closure link (on the homepage), I'm taken to a page where I have to again follow a link, either to the district website or to a third party website, to see the information.

As far as what was missing, there were two main things. There were incomplete links. When I click on the left-side links from the homepage, there is no link back to the homepage. I ended up just clicking the "back" button several times. Also, some of the pages were inconsistently structured. In the "7th graders" section, there were links for Social Studies. In the "8th graders" section, there were links for Social Studies and Science. In the "9th graders" section, there were links for Social Studies/English and Science. It seems as though all the subject areas should be complete for all grades. If it's the fault of the teachers for not posting assignments for their subjects, they should make a change.

1 comment:

Prof. Sorenson said...

I think that you just learned some very basic things about building a web page -- limited number of clicks before reaching the information that you want and broken urls. Webdesign and up-keep is time consuming, but if it is done on a consistant basis then the information is there when the students or parents need that information