This is one of the "10 reflective or informative entries regarding technology and/or teaching."
This is, by far, the coolest thing I've ever seen. Click here to see it.
This is an excellent resource, especially for language arts classes. It's a website which gives words. The player has to guess what the word means from a list of words.
For example: "Mote means...
-catnap
-assortment
-speck
-payment"
If I guess correctly by clicking on "speck," 20 grains of rice are donated to the United Nations World Food Program, which seeks to help end hunger. A player can play as long as he/she wants, and there is no need to sign up or anything.
I think the vocabulary level goes up as the game goes on; it gets very hard. So it's not really for elementary kids. However, a teacher could make students look up words in a dictionary or thesaurus to improve their abilities at finding words; in that case, I suppose elementary kids could do it.
I just see this as a really cool way to combine technology (internet), teaching (building vocabulary), and humanitarian work (helping to end hunger.) Humanitarian work is close to my heart, so this is excellent!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes. I started using this website. While it should not be the only thing we do to help people like you said, it is a good way to build vocabulary and help people. Thanks for showing us this in class. :D
So I am kinda addicted to this website, ever since you mentioned it during you presentation I have been going to it everyday. I think it could be such a great tool in a classroom to teach students about the world around us culturally, they can do something to help while improving their vocabulary.
Post a Comment