This is one of the "10 reflective or informative entries regarding technology and/or teaching."
I finished my 40 hours of observation today. And I'm a little frustrated. After spending weeks going into the classroom, I feel no more prepared to be a teacher now than when I started. Observations are awkward because I am not allowed to teach. Also, the teachers I observed rarely taught on the days I was there; they were just work days. Additionally, entering a classroom half way through the year means that the students are already trained and used to routine; rarely did I observe any behavioral correction, and the students hardly noticed I was there.
I got a sheet of paper today filled out by my cooperating teacher, which said that I need to interact more with students. Yeah, I agree. I don't understand, though, how to do so in a situation like this. And honestly, part of me is a little scared about next semester. I'm apparently supposed to feel comfortable in a classroom now. I do, as long as it only involves correcting papers and talking with teachers. But, as far as interacting with students, I'm at square 1.
...I can't imagine how substitutes feel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yep, this is exactly how I still feel. I'm sure my sheet is going to say I need to interact with students more as well. But its hard when two of my classes are in the computer lab and the teacher doesn't even interact. And the other two classes 3/4 of the time is warm-up, review of homework, and teaching of new material. By the time all of that is done, there is maybe 10 minutes left where I can help.
I don't know most of the students' names because I'm only there for one class period per week.
So I'm totally with you.
Post a Comment